February 15, 2007
Mom's special : Carrot Halwa
Juicy orange carrots : 1 kg
Ghee(clarified butter): 1 tbspoon
Milk : 1 1/2 litre
Sugar: 400-500 gms
Cardomom(elaichi) powder : 2 pinch
Saffron : few flakes
Orange colour (optional) : few drops
Cashewnuts : For garnishing
1. Peel and finely grate carrots
2. Mix milk and grated carrots in a heavy saucepan.
3. Heat the mixture till it is thick, stirring occassionally.
4. Once it starts thickening, stir continuously to avoid being burnt at the bottom of the pan.
5. Pour in the sugar and heat further till mixture is thick and consistent.
6. Add a dash of ghee, elaichi(cardomom), saffron and colour(optional).
7. Stir on low heat till the mixture gathers into a soft ball or the ghee oozes out. 8. Serve hot, garnish with a cashewnuts or the dry fruit of your choice.
- The milk added to mixture should be slightly warm or at room temperature.
- You can reduce the amount of sugar added as per taste.
Posted by Pallavi Limaye