February 27, 2007
Matki Usal (Moth bean dish)
A nice way to eat those sprouts!
Matki (moth beans) soaked in water overnight: 1 cup
Tomato : 2 medium finely chopped
Onions : 2 medium finely chopped
Green chilli : 2-4 chopped
curry leaves : 5-6 leaves
Ginger garlic paste : 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder : 1/2 teaspoon
Garam masala : 1 teaspoon
Refined Oil : 1-2 tablespoon
salt to taste
Finely chopped coriander leaves and coconut(optional) for garnishing
1. Rinse and soak matki(moth beans) overnight in wate. Drain water and leave them to sprout a little.
2. Heat a little oil in a pan, add in the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir till it becomes slightly brown.
4. Add in the curry leaves and chopped green chilli, stir for a few seconds.
5. Add the chopped onion and saute on medium heat till the onions turn golden brown.
6. Add the turmeric powder,garam masala and stir well.
7. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes get cooked.
8. Add the drained matki(moth beans) and mix well
9. Add water just enough to cover the mixture, cover and let the matki cook in medium/low heat for 20 minutes or till the moth beans are fully cooked.
10. When matki is cooked, add salt to taste and mix well.
11. Garnish with coconut shavings (optional) and finely chopped coriander leaves.
12. Serve with rice or Indian chapati.
- Replace garam masala with goda masala if available, for truely authentic Maharashtrian matki usal.
Posted by Pallavi Limaye